Friday, April 23, 2010

orientation... upside down

We sat in a big auditorium. "There was a lot of chairs" is how the Kiddo describes the room. We listened to the principle talk about some random things (I LOVE her btw) and then we listened to a school nurse go over what we needed to get done. Sadly having an immunization record isn't enough, you have to have their specific paperwork filled out showing all the shots had been given. That annoys the crap out of me, what is the point of us having kept a complete record of all his stuff if we just have to go BACK to the doctor to get something different filled out too!! It's the same thing with his eyes, they require a vision screening. They didn't even give me a form, just told everybody that a screening had to be done. I suppose making it easy would be to um easy...
After that was done they had all the kids go up and sit on the stage area. The Kiddo seemed so small! I was looking and I did see a couple other kids about his size though so maybe it wont be that bad? From there all the kids went to the two kindergarten teachers rooms and did a small activity with each teacher. There was one teacher I really liked, she was quiet and very calm. The other teacher seemed more of the disciplinarian type. I really hope that the Kiddo gets assigned to the first, I was not able to make a request so it really will be luck of the draw *fingers crossed*
On the way out they gave the Kiddo a cookie. He took one bite and then carried it home. He wanted to show the Man the cookie while he told him about his day. Then his big plan was to eat it while playing star wars on the ps2. I love my kid, only he would have the self control to WAIT that long before eating a cookie!

We requested the afternoon schedule 1pm-3:50pm... I had NO idea a kindergarten half day was so SHORT. For some reason I was thinking 4 hours, maybe 4 1/2. Barely three hours shocked me.

We also requested the track that will give him extra time off in November and February. Our second choice would give him that same time off in December and June. It will be interesting to see what we end up with.

On the way out I picked up the extra forms for the Kiddo's Endo to fill out so that the Nurse can draw up an emergency care plan. I doubt we'll need it (especially with such a short day) but it is always a good idea to be prepared just in case.

The Kiddo thought it was a great trip. I thought it was a sad one, when did he get to be five!! I'm sure my first afternoon free I'll feel differently but for now I can't shake the feeling that I'm shoving him out of the nest just a little to soon *sigh*

No comments:

Thoughts...

Thoughts Become Things; Choose The Good Ones.