Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Holiday Cookies

I know I've mentioned in some of my previous posts that The Kiddo is really excited about Christmas this year. Over the past few years he sort of knew it was coming but he didn't really seem to remember what had happened the last year so wasn't anticipating what was going to happen. This year he's five, very nearly six, and he remembers last year so he's really wound up.

He has only three days of school this week, and Wednesday is a short day for him. I think that's when we're going to start our Christmas cookie baking. Usually I make about four different kinds of cookies, BUT because he's going to be helping this year I think I'll stick to actually making only two... We're going to make oatmeal cookies with red and green m&m's. We're also going to make snickers fudge. Then I'm going to buy (yeah I know, awful lazy me) some ginger bread boys from the bakery next door and let him ice them any way he wants. I'm tossing around the idea of snicker doodles too but I'm not sure how hard the fudge is going to be (I don't have a candy thermometer so at the very least it'll be a little tricky). If the fudge and everything else goes smoothly enough I might take my butt back to the store and buy the ingredients for Oreo cookie balls, I think they sound really yummy and they are fun looking (plus the recipe makes them sound extremely easy to make)













Anyway that's my plan for the next few days. Try not to let The Kiddo's bouncing off the walls drive me so nuts that I permanently lock him in his room. And hopefully get some cookies made.

2 comments:

C said...

Does your fudge recipe explain about cooking to soft ball (or whatever) stage and how to test for it? That's what you do when you don't have a thermometer.

Gwyneth said...

It does mention that, in addition I remember vaguely having you teach me how to do it... I don't remember if you were telling me or we were actually doing it or even what cookie it was with but I do remember learning it from you.

(oh WAIT, I think it was back in Wallsburg and we were making brittle...)

Thoughts...

Thoughts Become Things; Choose The Good Ones.