Tuesday, November 10, 2009

chicken

The Man usually doesn't like chicken. So, just because I'm lazy, I don't generally make it. But the Kiddo likes chicken and so do I (if it's done right) so I've decided to start making a few things and seeing if the Man will eat them.

Last night I tried my hand at Stuffed Chicken with Sundried Tomatoes. It was YUM, the Kiddo AND the Man liked it so it's staying in the recipe book. I think a few of you will like it too.

Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Serves 6

8 ounces cream cheese , softened
4 ounces goat cheese , softened
1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes , drained, patted dry, and minced
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
1 clove garlic , minced
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 to 8 ounces each), trimmed
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 cups fresh bread crumbs

Lemon wedges (for serving)

1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 425 degrees. Stir the cream cheese, goat cheese, tomatoes, thyme, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together until smooth.

2. Pound the chicken to an even 1/4-inch thickness. Pat dry with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper. Mound 1/4 cup of the cream cheese filling at the wider end of the chicken, form the cheese into a log, and then roll the chicken up. (You will have some leftover filling.)

3. Arrange the chicken rolls, seam-side down, about 1/2 inch apart in a 9 by 13-inch baking dish coated lightly with vegetable oil spray.

4. Mix any remaining cream cheese filling with the mayonnaise, mustard, and lemon juice, then brush the mixture over the tops and sides of the chicken. Toss the breadcrumbs with the butter, then press onto the tops and sides of the chicken rolls.

5. Bake until the breadcrumbs are golden and the very center of the chicken rolls registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 30 minutes. Serve with the lemon wedges.



2 comments:

360_gandering said...

It looks yummy. (Well, cheese makes anything look yummy.) I'll have to try adapting the quantity to suit two people who are watching calories *sigh*. How much butter do you mix with the breadcrumbs?

Gwyneth said...

well I did my cream cheese in the fat free store generic brand and didn't mind to much (usually I stick to philly for flavor). So you can cut calories that way.

The breadcrumbs I did from scratch with some garlic powder and pepper (I googled it and found a 'recipe' saying you put crumbled bread on a pan in the oven at 200 for about an hour, watching it and shifting it every now and then). I cheated and just pressed my toasted dry crumbs onto the chicken and then used a tiny bit of the spray no calorie butter crap rather then tossing the crumbs in butter. Since I had my crumbs so toasted I put a piece of tinfoil over the center of my pan while it cooked, leaving the sides open to vent so that the crumbs stayed crispy but didn't brown to much more then they already were.

Thoughts...

Thoughts Become Things; Choose The Good Ones.