Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Knees, Age, Exercise

Once upon a time, in a land very very far away and a long time ago ... I had a ballerina's butt and legs. Now I have a moms butt and legs. There's quite a few differences in those two things. Because of that, and the fact that lugging 100lbs of groceries up three flights of stairs leaves me rubbery and slouched in a chair gasping for air like a beached whale for 20 minutes, has convinced me that I should probably start getting a little structured exercise. The Man has agreed to join me.

So we are doing the Couch to 5k. I am also throwing in, on alternate days, lower and upper body exercise.

The problem I have is that when I start to do squats or lunges, my knees jump out of my body, hover in front of my face, and threaten to beat the crap out of my pain receptors with razor wire. In other words, ow, which leads to sloppy positioning and no real improvement in muscle tone.

The other day I came across an article which showed me how to do a leg and butt workout laying on my back. I tried it out yesterday and it went great. No knee pain! And the correct amount of muscle fatigue/strain this morning. So I think I'll keep this little list handy and try it for a few weeks, see if I see any improvement.

No comments:

Thoughts...

Thoughts Become Things; Choose The Good Ones.