Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

I meant to post something earlier... before we left for the inlaws to spend the day... but I ended up getting distracted and forgot. Needless to say better late then never so Happy Thanksgiving everybody!!

This was one of the better Thanksgivings I've had since leaving AZ and I had a really fairly good day. There was plenty of bird (it was a 26 pounder!!), tons of stuffing, some really good garlic mashed potatoes and of course (as is now the 'norm') I brought the sweet potato casserole. This year I made it a little different, I used fresh sweet potatoes and roasted them, I then broiled them with butter and brown sugar, mashed them with strained apple sauce, and topped them with the usual layer of marshmallows. Yams are the one thing I HAVE to have, it's my little piece of home even when I can't be there. When I'm mashing the yams I always think of my mom, when I'm sprinkling on the 'mallows I smile and think how she always lets me steel some (now it's Chance who gets to steel them).

Hopefully next year I'll be able to go down south for the holiday...

oh and by the by... that picture up top with the kiddo sitting in front of a pie. That was taken AFTER we got home. He wanted to see the pie, then he wanted to taste it. Thinking he just wanted to taste it and then he'd be done I went ahead and set the whole thing in front of him. When he started chowing down I quickly transferred that pumpkin pie piece onto a plate and put away the rest. *sigh* The whole reason we brought home a pumpkin piece was for ME to eat. I can't get to upset though, he didn't eat any pie at the sister in laws place, he was too focused on playing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pumpkin is a veggie, related to squash, and you have had it served as such a couple times. If your father didn't consider orange colored foods yucky, you would have had it a lot (yams too). I mixed the canned pumpkin with egg, milk, sugar, and seasoning just as for pie but baked it in a casserole dish instead of a pie shell - and called it pumpkin pudding. No need to go without pumpkin "pie" just because the little one got the munchies for some.

Thoughts...

Thoughts Become Things; Choose The Good Ones.