Saturday, November 22, 2008

a Holiday meme

The Man and I have known each other for TEN years this December. We'll have been married for 5 this coming summer. (It really doesn't feel that long). Even with that length of time together we still really enjoyed doing this meme together. It was fun to talk about memories and be reminded how similar we really are in our views of what's important.

So I don't do a lot of these, in fact I do very very few. But I don't have anything else exciting to talk about so I thought I might as well. If you've got a minute it would be neat to know what your answers are... just cut n paste the questions into the comments box, delete my answers and type in your own.
.................................

Christmas Questionnaire

1. EggNog or Hot Chocolate? Eggnog. Don't get me wrong I LOVE Hot Chocolate but I can have that any day of the year. Eggnog is seasonal, so for a holiday drink it tops the list.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? He wraps them. What would be the point of unwrapped presents, isn't that what elves are FOR??

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Colored on the house, but white inside (or white and one single color like blue or green)

4. Do you hang mistletoe? I haven't yet but I kind of like the idea, sometimes the Man needs a kick hehe

5. When do you put up your decorations? First weekend of December'ish

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Turkey stuffing, with turkey mixed in, drenched in gravy.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? I think my favorite is Christmas morning with us kids all in each others rooms trying to wait till we were aloud to go down stairs.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? For me there is no distinct before and after knowing. Which speaks volumes on how much importance we put on it. I think Santa should always be the "extra something" not the main event.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Never have.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? Blue silver and white. Though, if I can afford it this year I might switch to green silver and white... that would be fun.

12. Can you ice skate? Um, define ice skate?

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? The one that stuck out when I did this with the Man was my guinea pig. But I woke up this morning thinking hmmm I think that was a birthday present? Anyway, I've had a bunch of good gifts over the years but most of my favorite Christmas memories are more family focused.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? By far family. Mine little one here, and my big one in AZ.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Pie, with ice cream. mmmmm pie....

16.. What is your favorite holiday tradition? When I was little it was hanging the stockings and the morning of sitting impatiently with lady D waiting to go down stairs. When I was older it was Christmas eve decorating the tree, cookies, eggnog, and the walk around the neighborhood with lady D and my bro P looking at the lights. I miss that SO much EVERY year.

17. What tops your tree? The ceiling *snicker*... ahem A white and silver star.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Giving, when it's the perfect gift and I know they'll love it.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? It's a tie between a couple. The Trans Siberian Orchestra Christmas CD's are usually on repeat play once December hits. I want a hippo for Christmas makes me think of my mom and I smile every single time I hear it. And "River" (which is an unbelievably sad Christmas song, but I still love it). (for fun, a mini Christmas play list)

20. Candy Canes? Yes!!! But only the normal ones. Weird flavored candy canes are just... well... weird.

21. Do you feel Christmas is too commercialized? Who doesn't? I think I'd feel better about it if they'd just wait until after Thanksgiving to decorate. For crying out loud people yeesh.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. EggNog or Hot Chocolate? um, cold chocolate!

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? presents? bah, humbug

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? YES LIGHTS PRETTY LIGHTS MANY MANY WHITES COLORS ALL KINDS LIGHTS

4. Do you hang mistletoe? why? what did it do bad?

5. When do you put up your decorations? LIGHTS LIGHTS ... oh, when? I limit them to four weeks - 12/4 through New Year's Day

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? hubby

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? the blue dress: bodice was blue velvet (or velveteen) and flared skirt was blue and white plaid taffeta, and it was BLUE (not navy and not pastel anything, but royal BLUE).

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Is somebody keeping some secret from me?

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Nah

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? LIGHTS (oh, and maybe tinsel to reflect the LIGHTS)

12. Can you ice skate? used to; don't think my knees would like it anymore

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? See #7

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? balancing everyone's preferences so all can be happy

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? don't have one

16.. What is your favorite holiday tradition? LIGHTS LIGHTS

17. What tops your tree? a LIGHT

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? neither

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer

20. Candy Canes? tiny ones

21. Do you feel Christmas is too commercialized? I think societal norm is too commercialized; Christmas is no worse than any other part

Anonymous said...

Christmas Questionnaire

1. EggNog or Hot Chocolate? Both...either.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? wrapped, of course

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? I like color.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? I think I will this year.

5. When do you put up your decorations? ASAP

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Rolls. And smoked turkey. And Apple Pie. And...well, just the whole meal.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? Kendra and I used to sit by the tree and pretend the lights were make-up. I still think Christmas lights are magical.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? What truth? We keep the mystery alive.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Yup

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? Depends.

12. Can you ice skate? Nope

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? For Christmas? Finding out I was pg with my Bubba boy.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? My family.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? All of it.

16.. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Driving around the county looking at the lights.

17. What tops your tree? Nothing. I'm searching for the perfect Christmas star.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Giving

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Silent Night and O' Holy Night.

20. Candy Canes? Weird flavored ones. ;) I don't care for the peppermint ones.

21. Do you feel Christmas is too commercialized? For sure, it's just up to us to teach our kids what it is really about.

Anonymous said...

01. Eggnog or Hot Chocolate?
Eggnog tops hot Chocolate but Hot Cocoa is as good as eggnog to me.
02. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
When I was a kid, wrapped. Now, not sure.
03. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
LIGHTS!!!
04. Do you hang mistletoe?
Not yet, isn’t it a tree parasite?
05. When do you put up your decorations?
After Thanksgiving
06. What is your favorite holiday dish?
Ok make a hard one. Ok cheesy answer, anything with my family. I do love steak and croissants but I can cook too ☺.
07. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
Every year, decorating the tree on Christmas Eve. When I was a little girl I remember hearing bells early Christmas Morning.
08. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? What truth?
WHAT!!!
09. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
No
10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
Haven’t yet, but lots of lights (twinkle ones as well), non-breakable bulbs and ornaments, and maybe garland (kitty would get sick off of tinsel).
12. Can you ice skate?
Would rollerblading count? If so, kinda but not well.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
I think it is my doll Betty.
14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Being surrounded with my loved ones.
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
The breakfast sticky buns
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Either decking the tree Christmas Eve or the breakfast sticky buns and juice on Christmas day.
17. What tops your tree?
I do not know yet, if I find a nice snowflake, I think that might be nice with a light behind it.
18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
Giving
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
Silver Bells, or the Canon, or Green Sleeves.
20. Candy Canes?
Eh, I like the non-really sweet ones. I also like he chocolate mint ones.
21. Do you feel Christmas is too commercialized?
YES! But people want it that way *sigh*

Anonymous said...

1. EggNog or Hot Chocolate? HOT CHOCOLATE for positive. With those little tiny baby marshmallows mounded over the top.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Definitely wraps them.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Colored everywhere, one the house and one the tree. The white ones are just to plain.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Nope, never really had the urge.

5. When do you put up your decorations? Whenever I have time after Dec 1st. Last year it was like a week before Christmas, hopefully sooner this year.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? I cant believe nobody mentioned Yams!!! With marshmallows!!!!

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? Christmas morning, gathered around the tree picking presents for each other to open.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? My answer is the same as Psyches here. There never really was a distinct moment of knowing. And Santa never was as important as everything else.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Only when the person isn't going to be there Christmas day and I want to see their reaction, or visa versa.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? Lots of lights, tinsle and random ornaments. Every year we add a new ornament for each member of the family.

12. Can you ice skate? Nope but it's fun to try and you get Hot Chocolate after, woohoo.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I do not. Does this say something bad about me? I could say something cheesy like, "the love of my family".

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Family, though spending the time I want with them gets harder and harder as the number of "families" has gotten larger.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? I loved Fef's answer to this one, that's my fav. too. the Breakfast tradition of morning orange and cinnamon roles and juice, don't forget the juice.

16.. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

17. What tops your tree?

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Probably Trans Siberian Orchestras version of "Carol of the Bells" though every year on Christmas Eve I crank the Hallelujah Chorus in my car as I drive home from work. For some reason it makes me feel better.

20. Candy Canes? Used to love em, now I'm indifferent. Though I agree on the no funky flavored ones.

21. Do you feel Christmas is too commercialized? I work in freaken retail, how can I not. Every year it comes earlier and its more stressful. People are crankier and ruder, overall the Christmas Spirit is becoming an urban legend.

Anonymous said...

Forgot to answer three of em, oops.

16.. What is your favorite holiday tradition? A new one my guy and I just started doing is driving around with the kiddo looking at lights. I know everbody does that but it's fun none the less. That and the walks to look at them with my sibs are my favorites because we spend time just talking and I miss that.

17. What tops your tree? I have a muli colored lighted star that goes up there.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Giving, its fun to give that perfect gift.

Thoughts...

Thoughts Become Things; Choose The Good Ones.