Monday, July 13, 2009

Generational Memories

Just before The Kiddo and I flew down to Az for my little sisters wedding (in February) we got a package from my moms mom in the mail. In her letter she said "your mother had (and still has?) our Nonsense Alphabet records " ... "She should play them for 'the Kiddo'. None of my other grandchildren had them. Surely you know them? One must always have fun things in memories".

I forgot all about it while I was down there, in fact I didn't remember until just now. We got the book in the mail today (Edward Lear: Nonsense Botany and Nonsense Alphabets), my mom sent it.

So we got the book this morning, and now (at 4:30ish) I sit down to finally (because I am a horrible person) write Grandma C back a thank you letter and as I read through the letter she sent I saw that paragraph and though wow, how wonderfully ironic. I feel almost like I passing down generations of memories now.

I'm going to have to save the letter my grandmother sent me, as well as making a note about how my mom remembers this particular version of the alphabet with fond memories, and save both in the front of the book. I think that's the sort of thing he'll really appreciate when he's older (not to mention when he's passing the book, and the memories, on to his own kids.

No comments:

Thoughts...

Thoughts Become Things; Choose The Good Ones.