Thursday, September 3, 2009

Flabbergasted

I'm not really sure what to think... aside from the fact that it may be a slightly disturbing trend.

The other night I was watching the news and saw a story about an "I Pledge" video shown at one of the local elementary schools. The Principal apologized later and said she hadn't pre-screened the video prior to the kids being shown it. I did not attach the actual video (just linked to it) because while most of the video is okay the political undertones are so annoying to ME that I wanted to give you the option of viewing it or not. BTW just so we are clear, I do NOT pledge to serve the president, I could be wrong but um wasn't he elected by the people FOR the people... isn't his job to serve us?

Now today I read an article about how on September 8th the President is going to give a speach via the White House web site. In point of fact: "Secretary of Education Arne Duncan sent a letter to the nation's principals, inviting schools to watch the speech and included suggested classroom activities." ... ... ... "The plan for grades 7-12 includes a "guided discussion," with suggested topics: "What resonated with you from President Obama's speech? What is President Obama inspiring you to do?""

I haven't heard the speech (obviously since it isn't Sept. 8th yet) but I'm pretty sure I'd be keeping the Kiddo home from school that day (IF he was old enough to be in school). I feel like there is an appropriate age for kids to get exposed to political brainwashing and 11 isn't it. I know previous presidents have aired speeches directed towards school aged children, the key difference being, I believe, those speeches were televised so if the kids watched them they did it at home with their parents.

Of course that could just be me... thoughts?

No comments:

Thoughts...

Thoughts Become Things; Choose The Good Ones.